The Biggest Story Curriculum Review
When given the opportunity to review The Biggest Story Curriculum there was no way I was passing that up. It’s a project from Kevin DeYoung and Crossway so I was sure it would be wonderful. When the package arrived, my expectations were exceeded.
From Crossway’s website:
God’s story is the most beautiful story ever told, full of wonder and scandalous grace. There is nothing more important for the younger generation than imparting to them a rich vision of the gospel. Based on the bestselling Biggest Story Bible Storybook by pastor Kevin DeYoung, The Biggest Story Curriculum incorporates a host of integrated print and digital components to teach kids key Bible stories from Genesis to Revelation. Featuring 104 Old and New Testament Scripture lessons for kindergarten through fifth grade, the curriculum set provides 2 or more years of teaching material that will help children understand God’s plan to redeem the world through his Son, Jesus.
Designed for use in a Sunday school, children’s church, or homeschool context, each lesson in The Biggest Story Curriculum set includes an easy-to-use teaching plan, discussion questions, and reproducible activity sheets. The set comes in a convenient 6-volume box that simplifies planning and teaching.
- 104 Bible Lessons for Kindergarten through Fifth Grade: Colorful printed materials and lesson plans assist pastors, children’s ministry leaders, and parents alike as they teach young people God’s story of redemption
- Convenient 6-Volume Set: Includes 5 volumes of lesson plans along with an additional volume of coloring pages, puzzles, and activities for each story
- Covers the Bible from Genesis to Revelation: With kid-friendly lessons on the Pentateuch; history; poetry and prophets; the Gospels; and Acts, Epistles and Revelation
- Easy-to-Follow Lesson Plans: With “Teach the Story” and “Gospel Connection” sections, discussion questions, and activity and craft options, along with downloadable materials
- A Companion to The Biggest Story Bible Storybook: Created by a team of pastors, children’s ministry workers, and content creators, the curriculum lessons are based on 104 Bible stories written by Kevin DeYoung, with illustrations by artist Don Clark
- Integrates with Website: Users can download coloring pages, activity sheets, and craft templates
There are 5 curriculum books + an activity book. The first book is The Pentateuch and does exactly what you’d think…it includes the Pentateuch (the first 5 books of scripture). There are instructions at the beginning of each book to give you ideas on how to use each lesson. They include differing roles for school, church, and home along with differing time limitations. From there, you jump into Lesson One on Creation. Each lesson is formatted the same and something that I really love about it is that they encourage you to read actual scripture before any storybook bible.
The activities and crafts included are great. When I went through the entire first book to look for supplies, the only things we didn’t have were coffee filters and glitter. Just another reason why I enjoy this curriculum, you don’t need a million supplies to complete the crafts. You also don’t even have to do them but each lesson has multiple suggestions including different ones for different age groups.
The sixth book included is filled with coloring and activity pages, but these pages are also available on The Biggest Story Curriculum website for FREE. Yes, I said free. There are also videos to go along with each lesson. Plus there’s a podcast!
Even without purchasing the full curriculum, you could use these resources for discipling your children. Crossway has created something wonderful here. We’re only a few lessons in but so far we are growing and learning. I am so pleased to have found this for our home, especially as a mom and bible nerd.
If you’re interested, you can go visit The Biggest Story Website to sign up for free printables and to check out a full lesson.
Other Reviews that may interest you: