2017 Goals for The Rab Farm
If you haven’t noticed, this week has been all about goals and preparation for this year. And you can bet there’s a giant list of goals and dreams for The Rab Farm. We’re so excited with the progress and planning we’ve made and we can’t wait to see the fruits of our labor. And eat them! HELLO fresh veggies and eggs. I’m so excited!
- Prepare the chicken coop // The place is set. The measurements taken. The plan drawn out. Now we just have to put the finishing touches on the coop and make sure it’s ready in time for getting our chicks.
- Summer garden // We started our seeds early this year. Some of them are already huge. We’ve had a warm winter anyway, but we were trying to give ourselves some wiggle room so if we needed to start over we had time. The plan is a variety of tomatoes, variety of peppers, cucumbers, squash, eggplant, and a few more things.
- Successfully harvest summer garden // We haven’t really talked about what our “successful” definition is. But we want to see the fruits of our labor. Not just a few but maybe more than we need so we can give to others.
- Fall/winter garden // We want to try to have some sort of homegrown veggies year round.
- Successfully harvest winter garden // Our first winter garden….I’ll be happy with anything.
- Potentially try out some hydroponics // This is amazing stuff and J is really wanting to try this out. We’ve seen how successful it can be when growing produce and we think it’s worth a try on a smaller scale on our farm!
- Cut flower garden // Who doesn’t love fresh flowers in their house? Well some seeds are already planted and some have sprouted. Let’s hope this works out!
- Lavender // Is there really an explanation for this? This is my main gardening goal of 2017. It’s also probably the most challenging.
- Get our chickens // Cannot wait for this! Breeds are decided on and the order is waiting. Now we just have to have their home ready and then we can get them!
- Keep those chickens alive and safe from predators // This is obviously a big part of getting the coop ready and taking care of the chickens. I’m aware we’re going to loose some but I don’t want to wake up to check my chickens and just see feathers.
- Collect eggs // The whole point of the chickens is eggs. I pray that these chickens bring us eggs in abundance.
- Learn & make each day better // So far we’ve discovered that we all enjoy gardening and working on our little projects. And by enjoy, I mean we’re all having fun, there’s no arguing or fighting, and tons of fun. Now we just will continue learning and growing as a family and a little farm.